Stretching is a contentious topic, but much like last weeks episode on ice baths, the science can be a minefield of unrealistic studies and sensationalised media headlines.
The key to stretching before sport is in the details:
- Dosage: (25-30sec) of gently holding the position
- The correct stretches: (we love the crouching three for any running athletes, linked below)
- And to follow the stretches up with a proper activation and dynamic warm-up series.
We also cover:
- Where the science on stretching has gone wrong and how it under appreciates the nuance of stretching pre-exercise.
- How thinking and the scientific method are both valuable but need to be understood fully to apply
- How a short dose of the right stretches can have an incredible restorative effect on alignment, performance and long-term injury reduction and recovery
- We discuss thinking and the scientific method in general and how challenging traditional or preconceived theories can be challenging