Podcast (15 Minutes) Stretching is a contentious topic, but much like last weeks episode on ice baths, the science can be a minefield of unrealistic studies and sensationalised media headlines.
The key to stretching before sport is in the details:
- Dosage: (25-30sec) of gently holding the position
- The correct stretches: (we love the crouching three for any running athletes, linked below)
- And to follow the stretches up with a proper activation and dynamic warm-up series.
We also cover:
- Where the science on stretching has gone wrong and how it under appreciates the nuance of stretching pre-exercise.
- How thinking and the scientific method are both valuable but need to be understood fully to apply
- How a short dose of the right stretches can have an incredible restorative effect on alignment, performance and long-term injury reduction and recovery
- We discuss thinking and the scientific method in general and how challenging traditional or preconceived theories can be challenging
Some resources and extra reading/watching:
The AIS stretching study (it was actually 2008):
The negative effects of static stretching are restored when combined with a sport specific warm-up component
To download our full warm-up routine for free (PDF) head over to our website home page
Random Thoughts is available in Podcast format on both iPhone and Android.
For iPhone, click this link and hit subscribe. that will automatically add all new episodes onto your iPhone as they are uploaded.
For Android, download Stitcher or Podcast Addict from the Google Play store (free) and search “Core Advantage Random Thoughts” and we will pop right up. You can subscribe and listen from there.
Alternatively, just search "Core Advantage Random Thoughts" in any podcast provider and we should pop straight up.
Then you can listen in the car, foam rolling, or while doing your 8:12s on the bike!