Podcast 25 Minutes - The shoulder is an interesting joint that because of its extreme range of motion can create some headaches if things go wrong.
We talked today about:
- The importance of activation for the rotator cuff
- Why you even need to activate at all
- Pull vs Push ratio
- Length tension relationship differences between pulling and pushing exercises
- The sliding filament theory
- The upper trap and why it’s your friend
- The role of thoracic posture in shoulder performance
- How hard to go on your pull ups
Levangie and Norkin text - joint structure and function
On glute activation:
There seem to be some mixed scientific results on the effectiveness of glute activation improving performance, this article has a section outlining one 2016 study that showed improved glute use in multi-joint exercises with prior isolated activation work (the section is about half way down and is titled 'glute activation training').
Random Thoughts is available in Podcast format on both iPhone and Android.
For iPhone, click this link and hit subscribe. that will automatically add all new episodes onto your iPhone as they are uploaded.
For Android, download Stitcher or Podcast Addict from the Google store (free) and search “Core Advantage Random Thoughts” and we will pop right up. You can subscribe and listen from there.
Alternatively, just search "Core Advantage Random Thoughts" in any podcast provider and we should pop straight up.
Then you can listen in the car, foam rolling, or while doing your 8:12s on the bike!